Private Birding Tour
Discover Maui's Unique Birdlife
This tour is for all the birders, bird lovers and other wildlife enthusiasts who want to discover Maui's unique species and hopefully add a few to their "life list." We will look for the endemic honeycreepers inside Haleakala National Park, then head to the wetlands in search of shore birds, and end the tour with a golf course for a few more migrants and alien species not commonly found on the mainland.
- Haleakala National Park
- 10,023 summit Pu'u 'ula'ula, or Red Hill observation point
- Silversword endemic plants
- Possible sightings of Nene, Pueo, Chukar
- National Park's Visitor Centers
- Hosmer's Grove Nature trail, endemic birds
- Picnic lunch
- Kealia National Wildlife Refuge
- Kamehameha Golf Course
You are welcome to use our binoculars, hiking poles, & rain ponchos.
Bring layered and warm clothing as the weather at elevation can be 20 to 40 cooler than at sea level and is highly unpredictable.
Comfortable walking shoes and a rain jacket are also recommended.
Bird Lover's Private Road to Hana
The Famous Road to Hana, for Birders!
We'll take you on the famous Road to Hana, all the way around East Maui, on the same itinerary as the Unique Road to Hana, but we'll focus on finding birds along the way. We'll stop to look for white-tail tropic birds, Hawaiian stilts and coots, wandering tattlers, great frigate birds, Hawaiian or black noddies, red-crested cardinals, and maybe melodious laughing thrush. Note that this is not "just" a birding tour-you'll get to experience the Road to Hana and all its waterfalls, amazing views, and delicious local flavors
- Upcountry views over La Perouse Bay, Kaho’olawe, & Molokini
- Sweeping coastal views of Kahikinui area (white tail tropic birds)
- Nu’u Refuge cultural site & wetlands (native shorebirds)
- Laulima Farm & Fruit stand
- Oheo Gulch, aka 7 Sacred Pools (view from the bridge)
- Wailua falls
- Hamoa Beach views
- Alau Island & Koki Beach (great frigate birds)
- Hana town & local food trucks
- Waianapanapa State Park, aka Black Sand Beach (black noddies)
- Lava tube
- Coconut Glen’s coconut ice cream
- Hanawi falls
- Pua’a Ka’a falls
- Waikani falls, aka Three Bears
- Wailua scenic point
- Halfway to Hana banana bread & shave ice
- Ke’anae Peninsula
- Honomanu Bay
- Kaumahina Wayside view point
- Garden of Eden (melodious laughing thrush, add’l entrance fee)
- Waikamoi falls
- Ho’okipa Beach Park, turtles & surfers
Of course, we can't do it all in one day, but it is YOUR private tour, so let your guide know what you want to do and where you want to stop!
This tour does not include the National Park's Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) or Pipiwai Trail. If you want to visit these places, check our 7 Sacred Pools & Bamboo Forest Hike tour.
Visits to the Garden of Eden have a separate entrance fee and is by special request.