Safety & Sanitation Policy
As of late August, all visitors to Hawaii still have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, including inter-island travelers. This measure will stay in place until October 1st “at the earliest.” A program is in the works that would allow visitors who can provide a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of flying to be exempt from quarantine.
We are very much looking forward to taking you on the road again, when things have calmed down and we can all travel safely!
Please make sure you have all the most up-to-date information from official sources before your trip, so you don’t run into unpleasant surprises. And feel free to give us a call at (844) 550-6284 (8am-8pm HST) if you have any questions.
Your safety has always been our priority!
While this hasn’t changed and never will, we’ve made some changes to our operations in order to ensure the continued health & safety of our guests and employees, and mitigate the risk of infection from Covid-19.
For this, we have followed the official guidance of the CDC, as well as industry-specific recommendations from FareHarbor (our reservation system), and the World Travel and Tourism Council. We have committed to implement the WTTC’s Leading Global Protocols for the New Normal for Tour Operators and can proudly display their Safe Travels stamp to show our commitment.
Safety Guidelines for Guests
Shaking hands is so “pre-covid-world”! We are in Hawaii, so we are replacing the hand-shaking with a “Shaka“. Extend your thumb and pinky, close your index, middle, and ring fingers, and shake it up!
For extra safety, we’ve installed a clear plexiglass separator in all our vehicles. So you don’t feel like you’re in a New York taxi, we’ve added some colorful Hawaiian stickers 😉
Every vehicle door has its own hand sanitizer pump bottle, so you can pump away on your way in, and on your way out. We bring extras, so we never run out.
Every vehicle door will also have a few protective gloves should you need them.
We also have regular soap and individual towels available so you can give your hands a real wash when we stop at local bathrooms.
Please bring your face mask. Since our tours are exclusively private, masks are not required during the tour, however most local businesses we stop at do require them. If you don’t have one, we have Hawaiian print masks available for purchase ($8 each).
While outside of the vehicle, visiting locations or businesses, guides and guests are required to keep a physical distance of 6 feet (2 meters) between each other and with other people.
Please bring your refillable water bottle if you have one. If you don’t, plastic water bottles are provided. We have a refill water container on board. Reusable water bottles available for purchase ($10 each).
Unfortunately, we will no longer be able to provide reusable utensils, plates, and napkins. However, we will shift to environmentally friendly alternatives and keep avoiding plastic as much as possible.
No change on this: in all our vehicles, we have tissues, handiwipes, toilet paper, feminine products, sanitizing wipes, paper towels, reef-safe sunscreen, natural insect repellent, as well as a trash can with liner bag for proper disposal.
Payments & Waivers
Payments for tours are required in advance of the tour date, and are processed through our secure reservation system.
Gratuities may be handed directly to your guide in cash. Alternatively, you can ask your guide for their Venmo or PayPal account, or if you prefer to charge it to your credit card on file, just let us know via email or phone and we’ll take care of it for you.
Waivers are signed electronically upon making the reservation (the link appears in the confirmation email). For guests who have not signed the waiver prior to the tour, they have the opportunity to do so on their own phone before departure.
Employees are required to self monitor and to report any symptom, no matter how minor.
Employees who display any symptom will be required to stay home, and may only return to work after providing a negative Covid-19 test, and when free of any symptom.
We reserve the right to assign a different tour guide to a booking at any time.
Should no guide be available for a scheduled tour, we will communicate as soon as possible and offer a reschedule, a comparable alternative, or a cancellation with full refund.
Guides are required to wash hands whenever possible, wear gloves while cleaning and handling gas pumps, and wear face masks when interacting with local businesses.
Nothing new here, but guides are obviously required to maintain excellent personal hygiene, wear freshly laundered clothes, and follow all official guidelines as they become available.
Vehicles and Equipment Cleaning and Sanitation
We have always taken pride in having the cleanest vehicles, as is evidenced by many of our past guest reviews, and we already had a pretty comprehensive cleaning policy.
We’re now doubling down on it for extra safety and sanitation, following the CDC guidelines for non-emergency transport vehicles, and sharing the outline with you.
All our vehicles go through a thorough wash at the end of each day, followed by meticulous towel off of the entire body.
The inside of each vehicle is also rigorously detailed and sanitized after every single tour:
- seats, floors, seat pockets, cup holders, and all other nooks & crannies carefully vacuumed,
- all windows cleaned with a mix of alcohol and vinegar,
- all the floor mats removed and scrubbed with soap and water,
- thorough cleaning of all surfaces: door handles & panels, plastic trims, leather seats, center console, cup holders, head rests, belts & belt buckles, educational handouts…
- any other object that are usually touched: sanitizer bottles, courtesy bags, water cooler.
We don’t leave out any surface that guests might have touched. While it was already our policy to thoroughly clean all these fixtures, we are now using mostly alcohol, vinegar, and soap & water, as recommended by the CDC guidelines. We may also use specific sanitizing products that have been vetted by the EPA to efficiently eliminate the virus.
Employees will be required to wear gloves and a mask while cleaning the vehicles.
In addition, we are looking into a sanitation methodology that involves reaching a temperature of 140°F for 15 minutes.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Please make sure you read our policy carefully upon booking a tour. If you have a question, please give us a call at (844) 550-6284 (8am-8pm HST).
- If you cancel more than 72 hours (3 full days) before your scheduled trip departure, your payment will be refunded. During the Covid-19 crisis, we are currently waiving the usual non-refundable administrative fee of $50.
- Refunds may take 30-60 days to be posted to your account.
- If you cancel within 72 hours (3 days) of your scheduled trip departure, for any reason whatsoever, or are a no-show, no refund will be provided.
- Tours may be transferred to another name, rescheduled at no cost depending on availability, or converted into a gift card.
- Gift cards are valid for two years from the date of issue. Gift cards are not redeemable for cash.
- Tours go rain or shine. However, we make reasonable arrangements to reschedule upon request, depending on availability. We take your safety seriously and if weather and road conditions are deemed to be dangerous, we will reschedule or cancel the tour. If Unique Maui Tours needs to cancel a tour due to weather or any other unforeseen circumstances, your payment will be fully refunded.